Sunday 2 December 2007

Let Down**

Mixed news on the poker front. Online I've qualified for Event 8 of the UBOC on Ultimate Bet (PL8b) and today's $300K guaranteed on Party Poker.

The first only cost me $20 in a rebuy, top two paid and I had a commanding chip lead when the tourney ended. Very satisfying, especially as there was lots of idiotic play early on with people going all-in with very marginal stuff - Omaha8b just isn't suited to that kind of 4-card bingo the hold'em clowns are used to!!!

Second one "cost" me $65 in a STT qualifier. These are great value IMHO, 6-handed, first wins a seat, second gets $144.

All this doesn't make up for playing like a complete idiot in a live tourney in Leeds on Friday night. Made a bad laydown and was obviously still thinking about that when I raised A9o after a few limpers. What followed is a great example of acting too quickly and donking off your chips with top pair, shit kicker.

I get three callers IIRC and flop is AK7 with two diamonds. A guy who flopped quad kings earlier and couldn't prevent his hands from shaking (I actually had him on AK during that hand) now leads out for 2000, approx 2/3 of the pot, and again looks really nervous/excited.

I have 4300 left and just jam them in like an idiot without thinking why he would lead out into the pre-flop raiser if he can't beat a shitty ace.

Your average clown in these tourneys will play any ace, but 99.9% of them will never lead out, they'll just check/call and hope for the best. The only hand I can really beat is a flush draw but again, donks in these things will call and chase but never lead.

Sure enough, he instacalls and flips over 77 for bottom set and I'm out. Let's hope I play better in Vegas, less than two days to go now :)

** From now on, all post titles will be names of songs, most likely from Radiohead or The Smiths. Let's see how long I can keep that up.

1 comment:

Chris said...

:donk:

Wish I could have got to vegas this month. GL phil.