Saturday 29 March 2008

Roy's Keen

What threatened to be a shitty day turned into an absolute beauty today, culminating in a tournament win and Sunderland almost certainly securing Premier League status for next season!!!!

It didn't look so good around 4.15pm with Bolton beating 10-man Arsenal 2-0, Sunderland drawing 1-1 with West Ham and Birmingham being given the worst penalty decision you have ever seen in your life (Rob Styles is a fucking muppet) on their way to beating Man City 3-1.

I was also in danger of being bullied out of what had seemed a certain cash in the $11 PL0 rebuy tourney on Party with the chip leader raising every hand from the CO or button when I was in the small or large blind.

But within 30 minutes or so the world was again a beautiful place, demonstrating once more why we love football and poker so much, even though for 95% of the time they are both a pain in the arse.

First Arsenal's amazing comeback effectively doomed Bolton to relegation (and average crowds of 7,000 in the Championship next season - Mickey Mouse club, hello, hello) and then Andy Reid scored in the sixth minute of injury time to give Sunderland a 2-1 win over the Hammers.

Coincidentally the latest edition of the Sunderland fanzine, A Love Supreme, landed on my doorstep this morning with a cover caricature of the slightly corpulent Reid eating a hamburger, along with the song in his honour:

He's Andy Reid
He plays left wing
He loves McDonalds and Burger King.

Fat he may be but the boy has a great left foot!

But I digress.

Back to the Omaha and I finally get a hand to take a stand against the bully. He raises for the millionth time, I jam with AAxx and he calls with Q932 lol.

Knew he was raising light but fuck me he turns two pair and I'm ready to smash another mouse when the river is an ace....Now we have a game and I start taking him on and, thankfully for me, he doesn't know when to change gears. I get even in chips by checkraising a couple of flops and he instafolds, then I get top set v his two pair and he's out in 4th, one off the money.

That makes me a monster chip leader and, despite a couple of brief setbacks, I crush the shorties quickly and take down the $455 first prize. Not bad for a $22 outlay ( buy-in and top-up, no rebuy needed) with just 30 entries.

Added to my 2nd in the hi-lo on Thursday this pretty much makes me the king of Omaha games and I'll definitely be trying to play these tournaments on a regular basis.

Ha'way the lads!!!

2 comments:

lj said...

lol. i only take $$ back from luckbox boyfriends who get a percentage of me in tournaments.

if ure the king of omaha how come you didn't play in the "skill" series last night?

MackemPlus1 said...

Sadly they're on a bit late for me now that I'm back at work.

Plus, even I find limit Omaha8b boring :)